Our leadership team is merely part of the extraordinary 300+ Cicero Group team. Our skillsets are broad and our experience is deep, allowing us to bring a breadth and depth of capabilities to all of our client engagements.
Dr. Trent Kaufman is the Chief Executive Officer of the Cicero Group. In 2006, he sold to Cicero the education transformation firm he had founded five years earlier. Today, that company, Education Direction (www.eddirection.com) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Cicero’s and works with over a thousand schools around the world to measurably improve student learning. Dr. Kaufman is respected globally for developing sophisticated systems to enable the use of performance data to maximize individual and team performance at organizations of varied purpose and form. He is a leading author of two best-selling books surrounding organizational transformation. Prior to becoming a leading thinking in organizational design and transformation, Dr. Kaufman’s first “career” was in public education. He began as a social studies teacher in Washington D.C. before becoming a high school principal in the Bay Area of California. Trent received a bachelor’s degree in Social Science, with an emphasis in Economics from Brigham Young University. He earned a master’s degree in Education and Leadership from the University of California, Berkeley. Trent earned a master’s degree in Policy Management and a doctorate in Performance Management from Harvard University. Trent’s public service includes volunteer leadership positions with the Boy Scouts of America, church service, and advisory board roles with the Nike Innovation Fund, Strayer University, and High School Futures.
- Founder, Education Direction
- Research Fellow, Harvard University
- Harvard University, PhD, MS
- UC Berkeley, MS
- Brigham Young University, BS Social Science
Randy Shumway founded the Cicero Group in 2001 with four people working out of a basement. At the beginning of 2017, when Randy stepped down as CEO, Cicero had grown to over 350 professionals with offices crossing the United States. In 2016, Randy was awarded Utah’s Lifetime Achievement award and was named CEO of the Year in recognition of his professional accomplishments. Randy’s vision in founding Cicero was to deliver more than mere strategic recommendations to organizations but to actually roll-up sleeves and help organizations effectively execute the ideas. During his more than 16 years at Cicero, Randy has led multiple transformation and change management engagements for Fortune 1000 clients in such sectors as High Tech, Telecommunications, Life Sciences, Manufacturing, Financial Services, Consumer Products, and Education. Having stepped down as CEO, Randy today leads the Change Management and Transformation practice at Cicero as well as the firm’s private equity subsidiary. Randy is on the corporate board of Snowhite and of Angoss Software (TSX: ANC). He serves on two state-appointed boards – the state’s Economic Council and its Education Commission. Randy serves on multiple volunteer boards such as Southern Utah University, Utah’s Employment Taskforce, Boy Scouts of America Great Salt Lake Council, and EducationFirst. He is a prolific author in the Deseret News and in Forbes regarding effective education and economic public policy. Prior to starting Cicero, Randy was the Executive Vice President and Managing Partner at Answerthink. He started his career at Bain & Company. Randy obtained his MBA from Harvard Business School, graduating with highest academic honors (Baker Scholar).
- Executive Vice President and Managing Partner, Answerthink
- Associate, Bain & Company
- Market Manager, Dow Chemical
- Harvard Business School, MBA, highest academic honors
Aaron leads an expansive array of large-scale engagements for Cicero clients across a range of industries and sectors, including higher education, healthcare, retail, and technology. Aaron has taught undergraduate and graduate courses on organizational design and effectiveness, resource strategy, and leadership.
- Lead Organizational Consultant and Principal Policy Analyst, University of California, Berkeley
- Associate Director and Program Chair, Utah State University
- Harvard University, MEd; Cornell University, MPA
At Cicero Group, Allison works directly with education leaders to improve teaching and learning at scale. Allison has experience in K-12 public education as a Teacher, Reading Specialist, and Program Director. This experience gives her a unique perspective when working with schools and districts across the country. Allison chaired Harvard Graduate School of Education’s Language and Literacy student organization and serves as a member of the Read Today Advisory Board.
- Teacher and Reading Specialist
- Curriculum Writer and Program Director
- Harvard University, Graduate School of Education, MEd
Blake leads projects on sales design and transformation, change management, and consumer marketing research. His primary role is to work with Cicero’s diverse client base uncovering and implementing data-driven sales and marketing improvements; enabling him to develop a deep understanding of industries such as healthcare, higher education and waste services.
- Founder, Kickball for a Home (with the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption)
- Foreign Service Officer for the US Department of State
- Founder, DocBerry International
- Northwestern, Master’s in Public Policy and Administration (2018 Candidate)
- University of Utah, BA in Behavioral Science, Business Minor
Cameron Hansen is an Engagement Manager at Cicero Group. In this role, Cameron has worked with both major public and private entities in the Healthcare, Higher Education, and Banking industries. Cameron’s expertise includes advanced analytics, process improvement, and sales and marketing operations/research. His major projects have included the process improvement of a multi-million-dollar sales funnel and the redefinition of the marketing strategies of a national credit union with over 550,000 members through predictive analytics.
- Associate, Cicero Group
- Analyst, Goldman Sachs Investment Research
- University of Chicago Booth School of Business, MBA
- University of Utah, BS Finance
Cameron Nelson is an Engagement Manager at Cicero Group. In this role, Cameron leads strategy engagements for major private sector firms across Healthcare, Retail and Chemicals industries. Cameron’s expertise includes strategy development and implementation, channel management, sales operations and change management.
- Managing Director – Asia Pacific, Frontier Strategy Group
- London School of Economics, MSc. International Affairs
- Peking University, M.S. International Affairs
- University of Utah, BS Economics, BA Asian Studies, BA Political Science
At Cicero Group, Carrie is focused on driving improvements to student outcomes, particularly for highly-impacted populations, by coupling her ten years of classroom and five years of administrative experience. As a former Dean of Students, she has experience growing enrollment and has successfully designed and implemented K-12 character education programs as a Fellow.
- Fellow at National Association of Independent Schools
- Dean of Students and Admission Director
- Teacher, St. Vrain Valley School District, Colorado
- Pacific University, MEd; University of Puget Sound, BA; University of Burgundy, BA
Chad has expertise in serving the needs of international, public sector, technology, and healthcare clients of Cicero Group. He previously served as a U.S. Diplomat, working on trade, security, and economic development initiatives. He is a Lauder Fellow at the University of Pennsylvania and serves on the Board of Trustees for the Utah Council for Citizen Diplomacy.
- U.S. Chargé d’Affaires (Acting Ambassador), Samoa
- Special Assistant to U.S. Assistant Secretary of State
- University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, MBA, honors; University of Pennsylvania, MA, Lauder Fellow; Stanford University, BA
Dan co-leads the analytics practice within Cicero Group and has specific expertise in using analytic approaches to empower tangible, data-driven strategies for clients. Dan has successfully led dozens of client engagements in both the public and private sectors. During his six years of management consulting, operations, and marketing research experience, he has constructed numerous go-to-market strategies for clients who are leaders in their industries.
- Director of Research, Cue Media
- Northwestern University, MS Predictive Analytics
- Westminster College, BS Economics
- Professional Research Certification (PRC)
Dr. Jones plays a leading role at Cicero Group as former CEO and Co-Founder of Dan Jones and Associates. Dr. Jones has had a distinguished and prominent career as a pollster in Utah politics for more than 50 years. He continues to leverage his expertise to assist clients across a number of industries. He received his PhD in Political Science from the University of Utah and is a former Professor and Associate Director of the Hinckley Institute of Politics.
- Co-Founder and Former CEO, Dan Jones and Associates
- Associate Director, Hinckley Institute of Politics
- Professor, University of Utah
- University of Utah, PhD
Eric brings over 30 years of global business leadership experience, with a track record of transforming mature businesses, leading large multinational businesses, and driving growth in region for emerging markets. He has consulted numerous private equity firms and multi-national companies to drive growth, improve operational execution, and provide acquisition assessment and implementation advice.
- Ecolab Inc., Executive Vice President, Asia Pacific
- Nalco Holding Company, President, Asia Pacific Region
- Isola Corporation, President and COO
- DuPont, Vice President and General Manager
- University of Toledo, MBA
Dr. Pettersson has over 22 years of experience in public education. She has developed and implemented comprehensive curriculum and other instructional programs. She is a frequent author of articles on student achievement, educational improvement, and social impact. Dr. Pettersson’s doctoral dissertation focus was on systematic change in Utah schools. She holds master degrees in Educational Leadership and Policy and Special Education.
- Adjunct Professor, University of Utah
- School District Curriculum Director, Administrator, Psychologist and Teacher
- University of Utah, School of Psychology, PhD, MA, MS, APA accredited
Jacob has worked with mission-driven organizations for over fifteen years and in a dozen countries around the world. He has led the strategic design, implementation, and measurement of social impact programs run by Presidents Bush and Clinton, Goldman Sachs, the Alzheimer’s Association, the Nature Conservancy, and many others. He serves on the board of directors for Mary’s Meals, which feeds a daily meal in school to one million children living in desperate poverty.
James is the Strategy Practice Leader with Cicero Group. Prior to joining Cicero Group, he co-founded and served as CFO of the successful energy startup, Innovari, Inc. He also served for five years as Director of Corporate Initiatives Group at General Electric Corporation’s global headquarters working with all major business units to improve performance and efficiency. Prior to joining General Electric, James led numerous strategy and operations engagements for Fortune 100 companies as a Senior Engagement Manager at McKinsey and Company. Other prior experience includes roles at AT&T and Citibank.
- Chief Financial Officer and Co-Founder, Innovari, Inc.
- Director, General Electric Corporation
- Senior Engagement Manager, McKinsey & Company
- University of Chicago, Booth School of Business, MBA
Jason provides a wealth of knowledge in developing sales and business development strategies for Cicero Group's largest clients. His expertise also includes process improvement, supply chain management, customer analytics and lifecycle management, risk management among others. Prior to joining Cicero Group, Jason served as the Director of Business Development at Steelcase and then sPower as well as the Vice President of Pacific Pure Energy Capital.
- Vice President, Pacific Pure Energy Capital
- Director of Business Development and Operations, sPower
- Director of Business Development, Steelcase
- University of Utah, MBA
Kathryn began her career in 2007 working on market research engagements for Dan Jones & Associates. After Cicero acquired Dan Jones & Associates in 2009, Kathryn’s skills in operational management, market research, and communications were quickly leveraged as she moved into roles as the Executive Assistant to the CEO, then managing operations for the BPO practice, to then become the firm’s Chief of Staff. With 10+ years at the firm, her understanding of Cicero’s long-term strategy, along with her acumen in effective communication positioned her well to now direct communications and public relations for Cicero.
- Chief of Staff, Cicero Group
- Operations Manager of BPO Practice
- Qualitative Research Coordinator, Dan Jones & Associates
- Professional Research Certification (PRC)
- Digital Marketing Certificate from the University of Utah
Dr. Allred leads Cicero clients in tackling significant organizational challenges - from post-merger integrations to leadership and change management. As a former Professor at both Harvard and Columbia University, he taught leadership, conflict resolution, and negotiation. He is the former COO of Healthcare Quality Catalyst. He founded and served as Director of The Common Interest. Dr. Allred holds a PhD in Social Psychology and Organizational Behavior from UCLA.
- Founder and Director, The Common Interest
- COO, Healthcare Quality Catalyst
- Associate Professor, Harvard University
- Assistant Professor, Columbia University
- UCLA, PhD
Lawrence has spent the last decade helping to build the Cicero Group's analytics practice. He has experience helping Fortune 500 firms solve real business challenges with data, including attrition, segmentation, sales prioritization, pricing, and customer satisfaction. He also leads the firm in predictive analytics and Big Data related engagements.
Marshall N. Toplansky is a widely published and award-winning marketing professional and successful entrepreneur. He is an adjunct professor at the Chapman University Argyros School of Business and Economics, and serves as the Chair of Cicero Institute, Cicero's research and thought leadership arm. Marshall serves on multiple corporate and volunteer boards of directors.
- Chapman University
- KPMG, Managing Director
- Sr. VP Ogilvy & Mather
- VP Marketing strategy and insights, Gateway.
- VP of Marketing, US Robotics
- Harvard University, MBA
Mathew has worked extensively on operational improvements, growth, and strategy projects with clients in manufacturing, financial, and technology industries. Prior to joining Cicero Group, he was a Senior Manager at American Express and focused on developing new partnerships and managing key relationships with some of the country’s largest retailers. Also, while at American Express, Mathew led the creation and launch of a major employee efficiency initiative for all employees in Malaysia, Singapore, and China, a project which required him to live in Singapore for 8 months.
Melissa leads projects for Cicero clients across multiple industries and services with particular focus in healthcare and corporate development. Prior to joining Cicero Group, Melissa spent sixteen years in the financial services industry in New York City in roles for UBS and Deloitte Financial Advisory Services. As a former Senior Manager at Deloitte, she worked with the firm’s U.S. and global leadership assessing firm-wide mergers and acquisitions, strategic investments, and operations.
- Senior Manager, Deloitte
- Equity Analyst, UBS
- University of Rochester, William E. Simon Graduate School of Business Administration, MBA; Brigham Young University, BS
Michael specializes in sales and marketing, change management, and integration initiatives. Michael has led sales and marketing analytics studies, sales transformations, change management consulting efforts, large scale post-merger integration initiatives, and strategic restructuring services for numerous Fortune 500 companies. He has a proven ability to analyze strategies and adapt new initiatives for improved results across numerous industries. Prior to Cicero Group, Michael co-founded Laurus products, a privately held investment firm that provided licensing opportunities as a platform for inventors to take products to market.
- Marketing & Sales Operations, InsideOut Development
- Partner, Laurus Products
- Vice President, Operations at xClosure
- Northwestern University, MS Predictive Analytics
- University of Utah, BS Economics
Patricia serves an important role as Senior Advisor to Cicero clients as former President and Co-Founder of Dan Jones and Associates. She is currently the CEO of the Women’s Leadership Institute and serves on the Board of Regents for the Utah System of Higher Education as well as on the board of directors for a number of Utah non-profit organizations and businesses. She served in the Utah Legislature for 14 years and was the first female leader in both the Utah House of Representatives and the Utah Senate.
- Co-Founder and President, Dan Jones and Associates
- CEO, Women’s Leadership Institute
- State Legislator, Utah State Senate and House of Representatives
- University of Utah, BS
Phil Badger is an Engagement Manager at Cicero Group. In this role, Phil leads strategy and transformation projects for businesses ranging from the Fortune 100 to fast-growing startups. Phil’s expertise spans technology innovation, change management, sales operations, process optimization, and supply chain management.
- Project Lead, Samsung Global Strategy Group
- Supply Chain Manager, Cisco Systems
- INSEAD Business School, MBA
- Stanford University, MS Management Science
- University of Utah, BS Materials Engineering
Phil Krichilsky brings over 20 years of leadership experience in international business and military environments. He is an accomplished entrepreneur, business leader, and change agent with a history of turning businesses around, leading P&Ls to sustainable growth and motivating and focusing teams on data-driven metrics. He has run operations for large organizations in Asia, South America, and North America, and has experience across numerous industries including industrials, aerospace, chemicals, and private equity.
- Argosy International & Ozark Gear, Non-Executive Director
- Nexeo Solutions, Regional President, Asia Pacific
- WR Grace Construction Products, VP-GM, Asia
- General Electric, Executive
- Harvard University, M.P.A.
- Central Michigan University, MS Business Administration
- United States Military Academy at West Point, BS Engineering
- Six Sigma Master Black Belt
Rocio Summers has extensive strategy and financial consulting experience, with a focus on international corporations and not-for-profit organizations. She held various positions at Maxam North America, including Chief Financial Officer from 2006 to 2016, and currently sits on the board for SelectHealth, Girls on the Run, Utah Women’s Forum, and Pilar Pobil’s Legacy Foundation. Rocio has aided the international expansion of large corporations and led numerous finance and accounting teams.
- Founder, RS International Business Consulting
- Board Member, SelectHealth, Intermountain Healthcare Group
- CFO, Maxam North America
- Instituto de Empresa (ie) in Madrid, MA
- Harvard Business School, General Management Program
Tyler Hardy is an Engagement Manager at Cicero Group. In this role, Tyler has provided strategic insight and direction to major public and private entities in the Technology, Entertainment, Retail, and Healthcare industries. He also works frequently with nonprofit organizations to define change models, drive social innovation, and measure impact. Tyler’s expertise spans strategic planning, new product development, process improvement, and service and experience design. His major projects have included the integration of a predictive sales model that increased close rates by 10% and average per unit price by 12%, and the design of a nationally recognized leadership development program sponsored by former U.S. presidents.
- Strategy and Analytics Manager, Nike
- Kellogg School of Management, MBA
- Northwestern University, MS Design Innovation
- Brigham Young University, BS in Management
Tyler has managed projects across multiple industries, including the technology, finance, industrial, and education sectors. He previously worked as a Senior Manager at Coit Services (a nationwide specialty cleaning and restoration company) and in strategic planning at Samsung Electronics America. Tyler holds an MBA from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business and graduated cum laude with a degree in economics from Occidental College.
- Strategic Planning, Samsung Electronics America
- Senior Manager, COIT Services
- University of Chicago, MBA
- Occidental College, BA Economics
William brings a rich history in post-secondary education and publicly-traded companies as he assists clients with revenue growth, risk mitigation, and regulatory compliance. William helps our clients accomplish these objectives by bringing a creative consumer focus, unique experience in this space, and dedication to the needs of our clients’ students and customers. These characteristics have allowed William to develop and coordinate growth, compliance and risk-mitigation strategies across admissions, education, career services, marketing, accreditation and licensing, and internal education departments.
- Developed and rigorously managed overall strategy in investigations by Senate Health, Education, Labor & Pensions Committee, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, individual state attorneys general, the Securities & Exchange Commission, various Offices of the Inspector General, federal and state education departments, and by the Department of Justice.
- Law clerk to the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit and editor-in-chief of the BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY LAW REVIEW.
- University and departmental honors graduate of Brigham Young University, where he was also a two-time ITCA Academic All-America, First Team tennis player, and magna cum laude graduate of J. Rueben Clark Law School.